This was a great commentary and reminder why pan and scan isn't what the moviemaker intended his/her piece of art to be seen in. Thanks for this great clip!
Wow! Interesting! Not a topic I've given much thought to in the past. I could definitely see the point that cutting Ben Hur to the smaller size was essentially re-editing the film, as the smaller version lost a lot of atmosphere & the general scale of 'grandness' was diminished, as it was with Lawrence of Arabia where the wide-shots of the desert are essential to the whole mood of the movie.
I have hated pan and scan since the early 80's,when the wide screen od IT's A Mad Mad Mad World came out,and Leonard Maltin did a comparison,for instance in Pan,you only got TWO stooges,not all three! That hooked me! Rick
3 comments:
This was a great commentary and reminder why pan and scan isn't what the moviemaker intended his/her piece of art to be seen in. Thanks for this great clip!
Bob
Wow! Interesting! Not a topic I've given much thought to in the past. I could definitely see the point that cutting Ben Hur to the smaller size was essentially re-editing the film, as the smaller version lost a lot of atmosphere & the general scale of 'grandness' was diminished, as it was with Lawrence of Arabia where the wide-shots of the desert are essential to the whole mood of the movie.
Karen (UK).
I have hated pan and scan since the early 80's,when the wide screen od IT's A Mad Mad Mad World came out,and Leonard Maltin did a comparison,for instance in Pan,you only got TWO stooges,not all three! That hooked me!
Rick
Post a Comment